Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Power User and Administrator groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshFink

IS-IT--Management
Mar 6, 2003
US
Ok, I know that Administrator group has all rights, but what rights does the power user group have?

Thanks

Josh

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Power Users:
Members of this group have all the access permissions that Users and Power Users had in Windows NT 4.0. Power Users have read/write permission to other parts of the system in addition to their own profile folders. Power Users can install applications and perform many administrative tasks. If you are running applications that have not been certified for use with Windows 2000, users will need to have Power User privileges.

Administrators:
Members of this group have total control of the desktop, allowing them to complete all tasks. Members of the Administrators group have the same level of rights and permissions they did for Windows NT 4.0. There is also a built-in administrator account that allows administration of the computer. The administrator account is the first account that is created when Windows 2000 is installed.

James Collins
Hardware Engineer
A+ Certified Professional
Network+ Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified System Administrator
(What does all that jargon below my name mean? I dont know I am still trying to figure it out!)

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Is there anyway to take the USERS group and add the ability to write to the registry? I have this application that wants to write to the registry every time it opens for some reason.

Josh

Yes,
run regedt32 - this allows Administrators to set permissions to certain registry keys for users
so you could allow domain users the access rights to write certain keys in the registry every time the app is opened

Andy - bit late on this one! Also you don't need regedt32 in XP - regedit allows permission update (change from NT/2k)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back