Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between Elan and Clan definition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nortelshop

Technical User
Sep 12, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me what the differecne is between an Elan and a CLAN with a definition please? I know someone has asked this beofre, but I cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Thanks in advance.

The ELAN is used for inter-processor messaging i.e. call processing and signalling between CS1000 components such as Call pilot, symposium, signalling servers etc. and as such such be in it's own VLAN as it is very time sensitive and will react badly to excessive broadcasts. Only CS1000 components should be in this VLAN and NOTHING else. The CLAN is not time sensitive and things such as real time displays, admin terminals and pretty much anything else can reside in it.

ELan = Nortel Equipment LAN (private communication between Nortel PBX's and ancillary equipment.

CLan = Customer Lan (Your company's data network, and generally where nortel's admin/management interface to the nortel equipment resides)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back