Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DID's not matching internal extensions 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclerico

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2005
US
Have any of you ever come across a scenario where a company has DID's whose last four digits don't match internal extensions?? For example, Mike Smith has DID xxx-xxx-4101, but has an internal extension of 132. Jane Doe has DID xxx-xxx-4110 but has an internal extension of 119. John Doe does not have a DID, but has internal extension 101. When we port them over from their current Inter-Tel system to the 3300 their internal extensions will be converted to four-digits. As you can see the last four digits of Mike Smith's DID is 4101 and the last four digits of John Doe will be 4101. Can I get around this by having the 3300 look past four digits and route based on, say, seven?? I'm new to this telephony game so send me a virtual smack in the back of the head if I make no sense. Thanks ahead of time.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

take the last 4 digits of the DID, enter them into the system speed form. Speed dial is 4101, actual number is 132.
Done this many times. Not my favorite thing to do but it works.

Ralph

What's your DID range? Maybe there is something we can do.
At least you have to add a digit in front of your current extension numbering.

thank you both for responding. my DID range is xxx-xxx-4100 - 4119. The current three-digit internal extensions will be redone and use four-digits. Thanks again.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)

Many times the 4 digits sent will not match the internal extensions. Get this a lot when going from a system with copper trunks to a PRI. Use system speed dial to correct as already suggested.

Can you tell me a little more about the functionality of the system speed call?? Taking number 517-555-4101, I would put this in the speed call number (without the hyphens of course) and the actual station I would put 4132?? My user who does not have a DID, but has internal extension 4101 will be ok?? There will be no routing issues?? I understand that you don't know my environment, but in general this is how it should work, correct??

You would only need the speed dial if the extension does not match the DID. Using your example: 517-555-4101 would not need a speed dial programmed if they exten is 4101.

But, if the exten is 5555 then you would program the last 4 digits of the DID (4101) with the actual number of 5555.

Ralph

ralph, thanks again for responding. So in my situation I would need to enter in at least seven digits for this to work, correct??

Alternately you could remove the 4 incoming digits at the trunk service level and replace them with the digits you actually want.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

so going back to the original issue. You want to add a 4 to pad out the three digit numbers to 4 digits. This creates and issue with the 4 digits of a DID suddenly conflicting with the new 4XXX number. If you get 4 digits from the CO then there is not really a way to get around the problem. If you could get the CO to change to send you 5 digits, then you could use 54101 as the speed dial and point it to the acutal extension of the users.

I would find it confusing to have a DID 4101 that doesn't belong to the actual extension 4101.

nytalkin, we pondered doing that, but we're going to see how the system speed call feature works out.

Loopy, I hear ya on the mismatching numbers, but unfortunately they want it this way. I was considering just renumbering the extensions for those that have DID's in the 4100 - 4119 space to match, but down the road someone with a non DID extension may get a DID (for some reason) and then I'd have to renumber their extension which they don't want. Anyways, we will be using the system speed call feature as has been suggested on here. Thanks a lot for your help.

what I often have done, is absorb on the incoming DNIS down to 4 digits and then insert ##.
then create the speed dial ##xxxx to point to the extension you want the DID to go to.

so 517-555-4101 would translate to speed dial ##4101 and you could send it to extension 4101 or any other extension with no conflict.
it does require you to define EVERY DID as a speed dial though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back