Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DID setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslt35si

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2011
US
Good morning all,
I am trying to setup 4 DID, We already have 20 setup. My problem is i cannot figure out which line to program the DID on. Or the line the extention is install on. I will appreaciate any help.

Thanks.

program it on a target line. assign the target line to the extension you want it to ring on

My issue is that i do not know what target line to use. Can i use any available target line to any extension?

yes you can use anyone. just look at the received number, and make sure it isn't programed already for one of your other DID numbers.

unless its at 6.0 and you can sort by rec digits

probably the best thing avaya did with the bcm

Yep just when things were getting good they put a EOL on the BEST telephone systems made. It's still hard to believe sometimes that Avaya
took Nortel out like that, 10 yrs. ago I would of laughed in your face if someone said that things would end up this way. If anything you would of thought it would of been the other way around...Nortel taking Avaya out of business. Nortel really f'd up I tell ya. I hope these E-Metrotel systems really take off cause I'm just not a big fan of the IPO, doing the most basic things takes 5 more steps then what it took on a Norstar/BCM and creating short codes for everything is just stupid to me. The Nortel phones work 80% at best behind a IPO, I can go on and on... Anyway just to give my fellow Nortel guys some info I've came across another company called Spydur Technoloigies and they make a PBX that runs Nortel sets, only IP though no analog. I received a flyer via email telling me about the system maybe some of you got the same thing? so at least we are getting more options then just Avaya.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

hey norstar boy

try using the native sets for the ipo

i use the 14xx and 54xx series mostly and they work wonderfully

i do have a bunch of ipos out there with t series sets , but you have to rememember they are not native to that system so you cannot expect them to run as flawlessly as they did on the BCM

phoneguy610

Yes I've done ipo installs as well using 14xx and 54xx and no doubt those sets work better on the system then the Nortel's do by far. I guess being a Nortel guy I'm still not a big fan of Avaya and like I said some of the most basic things to set up on a Norstar/BCM takes the ipo 6 more steps... Don't get me wrong though some of the things about the system are nice but I would still pick installing a BCM any day over a ipo. I think it's so much more programming friendly in so many ways.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

i agree i think embedded vmail and the way you have to set up phantom users and that stuff is a joke

i do think vm pro is wonderful though

Sorry guys, My telco provider did not do the necessary configuration needed, thus when i did the programming it did not work until telco made the configuration at there end.

Norstarboy,
I am 100% in agreement with you. I hate the IPO and I have done numerous installs since Avaya took over. The BCM was probably the best system around and still is. As far as Spydur goes, I signed up with them a while back. All they have is basically Asterisk Now but they cut out the features and charge you for them. I have started selling SipXecs. Its an open source and is the core for the SCS. With the purchase of a good server I have been able to support over 500 users and SIP trunking. No nonsense of purchasing licenses for every user, voicemail seats or ACD. Everything you need is already there and ready for you to use. Also teleworkers can work from behind a NAT so no crazy setups are needed. Only negative is you have no support but the forum is better then any tech support you could find.

i hate all the open source free pbx/asterisk stuff out there

all of these little companies that try and run with the free software then resell it are giving phone guys a bad name

they all have the same gimmicks of no purchasing user licences blah blah blah

and no support is something 9/10 customers are going to cringe at

half of these little companies will be out of business by the time hosted takes off and the customers are going to hate you for it

premise based i would stick with the brand names like avaya toshiba nec and mitel

just my two cents (and this is from experience barracudas free pbx device the "cudatel" ended up being beyond a nightmare for us. we installed two and fully regret it. Reverted back to installing nothing but IPOs, bcms and toshibas.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back