Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DID ringing on twoo simultaneously celphones

Tech guy 297

Technical User
Jan 3, 2024
AW
Hi Guys,

I want that when someone calls a specific Direct Inward Dial (DID) number, it rings on two cellular phones simultaneously. I’ve used a phantom number and rerouted it to a speed dial, which works but only for one cellular phone. When I add the two phantom numbers in a ring group, it says ‘out of service.’ Do you have any recommendations on how I can program this?

For example, when someone calls a DID number 565100056, it should ring on cell phone #1 and cell phone #2 simultaneously.”

You want to create a multi-device user group that has two external hotdesk (twinning) extensions setup as members. MDUG's support up to 8 devices if you have Multi-Device User licensing.

You need to have external hot desk users for this to work as you described. You require two external hot desk user licenses as what was previously mentioned. These users will also need to have IP User licenses OR multi-device user licenses - depending what you have available and what the requirement is. If this is for 1 user, then what @Hemonious said would be true.
If you are trying to get a DID number to ring to two separate cell phones, then you create two separate external hot desk extensions (licensed users), create a new ring group, then add these two users to the ring group. Next, point the DID to the ring group and setup whatever kind of forwarding to voicemail you need for it. That will give you want you want.

The other thing to consider is how these users will call outbound (if that is needed) from their cell phones using the company PBX. I find that obtaining a DID specifically for the external hot desk users to call into to get dialtone on the system is the easiest to do. You can setup call recognition service on the DID trunk service to recognize the incoming callerID and give them dialtone. Or you can have them enter their extension and passcode.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back