Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DID length and DN length

Status
Not open for further replies.

JosephBernard

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2005
US
My vendor and I were discussing this. Currently we have 3 digits being sent from DID numbers over PRI and 3 digit DN numbers. From what I can tell, you could have 4 digits being sent from DID and still have 3 digit DN numbers where you tell explicitly what 4 digits go to what extension, but he says that we'd have to move to 4 digit DN numbers and confirmed it with 1 tech support person at Nortel. Can anyone else confirm this? Who's right?

DN length and DID received digits length can be different

It would be 'easier' if they are kept the same
There is no problem in keeping them different

This is changed under sys programming (assuming a Norstar)

Received digit length and DN length can be different. Be aware that if you change the received digit length this will reset all target lines which will then have to be reprogrammed. If the target lines haven't been programmed then no sweat.

Brian Cox

Definately different--

I have 3 digit DNs, 7 received digits, MICS 6.1. We did this on purpose so we could have a few old numbers from another exchange come in as DIDs, in addition to our new block of 100 numbers. (Its been a couple of years--the old numbers now go to a mailbox on our call pilot with a "hey, our number changed two and a half years ago" message.) It was much less expensive and more flexible than a message from the telco.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back