Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DID (direct inward dialing) questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogero

Programmer
Mar 1, 2007
US
A few questions about DID (direct inward dialing)...

Is there a way to determine which telephone number is assigned to incoming DID lines from the CO? I can see on the 66 block where each pair is coming into the block and I have 16 pairs. I am trying to determine what actual telephone number is associated with each pair.

Next, I am confused about if DID lines are incoming only or can be used for outgoing. My telephone company tells me I have 10 incoming and 6 outgoing but on my bill for PBX trunks it only shows 10 lines (each line has its own number).

Any help would be appreciated.

I would love to try and explain everything to you, but sounds like you might need a professional Nortel technician for this. Does someone else want to try?

DID = Direct Inward Dial.

If you don't have a PRI on your system, odds are you aren't using did circuits.

A visit from a local tech would save you a lot of agony with this. There's really no way we can tell you what you've got, or what you need without being on site.

The phone system is a Nortel Norstar MICS with system version 7.0.

The main MICS has 2 DS cards and the Fiber Trunk Module (12x0) has 2 DID cards and 1 DS card.

What I am trying to determine is when I look at the two 66 blocks where the pairs from the telephone company are punched down what each pairs telephone number is.

There is no number associated with each pair on a DID there is only a circuit ID.

Rick

Wiring diagram in our FAQ's

You might have up to 8 inbound DID trunks to handle any amount of DID's but only 8 inbounds at same time allowed.
They can come in on any one of the DID trunks.

Your DS cards are for outbound.

The above is a typical scenario.

"Is there a way to determine which telephone number is assigned to incoming DID lines from the CO?"

You can get a list of DID's from your line provider.
Sometimes they come in blocks of 30 with just some DID's active where the others are in reserve should you need them.
You pay only for the active ones.

They also can provide a list of your POT's lines that go on the DS cards.
DS cards can hold 4 lines each
DID cards ban hold 4 DID circuits

You can use a test set and go on the DS lines and call a cell to see what numbers they are.
Or assign all the DS lines to a phone and work with your list.

You Bill might also list a circuit # being the DID circuits.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

If the Telco installer did their job, each line or DID trunk should be marked or tagged with the line or ckt ID on the block or terminal @ the MPOE, -1.1, or whatever your demarc is.

....JIM....

Put my foot in my mouth. Analog DID's are an old enough technology that most CO's won't even provide them.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

All the ILECs in California still offer analogue DID trunks... Since they come out of the digital switch on DS1, all the provider does is provision those channels to a channel bank and use DPT channel units connected to the cable pairs as required for service. A trunk group and route index are assigned to the trunks and numbers for a complete service offering along with the signaling options.

....JIM....

As far as determining which DID number is assigned to which telephne in your MICS you would have to (yourself or hire a tech) go thru programming and look at each target line (a target line is the programming location that incoming numbers are assigned and the target line is what determines where the calls placed to a particular DID number rings. at the target line a primary telephone set can be assigned to that target line) or at each telephone set, hunt group, answer group, or Voicemail system since the target lines can be assigned to appear or ring on them. you will probably find that you have a few unassigned DID numbers but most are assigned to telephones.

----------------------------
Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Communication Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back