Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialup RAS issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have searched long and hard for an answer on this question, but I can not seem to find anyone who knows the answer. Hopefully you all can help me...
Using Dialup RAS to get to my company, 2000, NT, and XP work perfectly but 95, 98, and ME fail to authenticate. Local RAS into the plant itself works fine for these OS's but dialing into the Corporate servers, only allows us access to Web and Email. Though I can ping every machine in the building, my customers want to "view" them in Network Neighborhood. I have the local WINS and DNS hardcoded, the machines are "Log on to NT domain", and the Workgroup is set to the local domain. 2 errors that are involved are either the pc just logs in but never authenticates or people log in and it says the server is unavailable. I also noticed, even though I hardcoded the WINS, the corporate servers are pushing another WINS address and looks like there addresses are winning the fight :)
I am almost positive that because their WINS are showing up is why I can not "view" the local stuff.
Anyone have any clues? I am going on a month with this problem. :(

Thanks,

Jennifer

What is it you want off site people to be allowed to do? Glenn A
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are tasty and crunchy and good with ketchup."

Actually they can get to everything except their computer. For example, everything logs in fine, I go to tNetwork Neighborhood, to browse to my computer which is shared out, and there's nothing. Or I do a search > computer and it can not find me. They only thing these have in common is after logging in it asks for the domain login information, and it always fails saying it can not find the domain. BUT I can get on local email, internal webpages, etc.

Jennifer

Does the users PC have file and printer sharing enabled?
Does their C drive have a share on it? Glenn A
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are tasty and crunchy and good with ketchup."

Make sure the workgroups are the same.

Does YOUR server see the work stations?

Beyond that, I don't know.

I never had anyone log on and then try to access a work station through RAS.

I have done it with PC Anywhere. Glenn A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back