Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialup Networking using w2k to connect to NT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

NerdMan

Technical User
Apr 24, 2002
US
I am using Windows 2000 Pro at home and trying to connect to a Windows 200 Pro sytem at work. The network at home at at work are BOTH NT4 with service pack 6a installed.

I have used Win2k in the past at home and have had no problem so I know it should work, but it isn't!!

I can dial, make a connection to the system at work, be logged on and authenicated, but I can't 'see' anyone on the net at work!!? I have 5 different servers at work all of witch I could talk to in the past with Win2k, but for some reason I cannot talk to / ping any of them!! I can't even ping the system I logged into!!

Now here is the key to the problem... I have a network at home as stated above. If I disconnect my network at home before dialing up to my system at work then I can ping and talk to whom-so-ever I wish! I can even leave myself connected at home on my home network, dial, connect and then pull the plug on my network at home and start 'talking' to any of the systems at work... But as soon as I connect my wire back into the hub at home I loose my ability to communicate with the workstations / servers at work!! Unplug... I talk... plug back in... I'm dead in the water!!

I have compared connection info in three different systems at work that I can unplug from the network (So I don't see the network through the cat 5) and use dialup to call any of the other two machines and everything works fine!! Like I said, I used to do this before with Win2k and it worked just fine, but for some reason it won't work for me know!!

I have compared network settings as well as dialup settings... But nothing seems to click for me!! I can't figure this one out!!!

For those of you asking yourself why I swap back and forth, I have had problems with some software under w2k so I went back to Win98. I disliked the change back to 98 so I said goodbye to 98 and went back to 2000!!

By the way... I can hookup my laptop that has Win98 on it and connect just fine at work!!! Everything that I can think of is the same as B4 on the Win2000 Pro machine like it was B4 when I could talk, but I'm missing something here and can't figure it out!!!

Any Suggestions??? Sorry for the book report but I wanted you all to have all the info I have on this one so maybe we can get this working right!!!

NerdMan crying out for help in dispair!!!

terry_towne@hotmail.com

Thanks for the help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back