Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialup connection not disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlin602

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
US
I am setting my dialup connection in windows xp.

I am able to connect fine. I am trying to get internet explore to automatically to disconnect when i close internet explore or outlook express. I have went into tools>>internt options>>connections>>settings>>advanced

1) I have disconnect after 20 minutes and disconnect whenever connection may no longer be needed. Ihave left my connection running for over an hour and it is still connected.

2) I have also closed my browser and email program and it doesn't wont to disconnect then either.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

"Online shutdown" doesn't shutdown automatically. Do you have the little "two-monitor" icon in your taskbar (next to the clock)? If so, right click and choose "disconnect". If this doesn't work, you may have spyware keeping you online. By the way, your "disconnect after 20 minutes" setting will normally kick you offline after 20 minutes whether you want to or not, bad in the midle of a download!

How do you have the modem setup? I've seen this behavior when using the generic drivers under modem setup. Try a getting a specific init/hang up string for the modem. Also try updating the modem drivers if there are newer ones from the manufacturer. (This fixed the problem on one of my computers that had a similar problem.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back