Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialogic Media Gateway to Merlin Magix via PRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrew77

IS-IT--Management
Jul 13, 2008
US
Hello all, I am once again trying to make the Magix do something it can do, but that I do not know how. Some history. Have moved the Magix to a PRI from an old CAS line. We now have 100 DID's, most of which we are not using, yet. Our PRI is only used at about 50% capacity (peak used channels is ~12). I now need to have 2 fax servers (for 2 different applications) and requiring maybe 4 lines between the two of them. One of the fax servers is virtual machine.

So I asked the Telco to bring the PRI into the Adit and bring me out two PRI's. One to go to the Magix and one to the Dialogic. They said, "Sure $385/mo, please." So w/ one spare slot (17) and a quote for a 100D for $125, I decided to have the Magix do the routing using the DID's and I don't sacrifice another channel.

Now I have done the same thing with an Asterisk box on Slot 16. Made the switch type MERLIN-Ntwk, set the Network Service to ElecTandNwk and route it Direct to UDP. The Asterisk box dials through ARS and onto the PRI for outside calls. Extensions on either box can call any extension on the other.

With the Dialogic, I had calls from it to the Magix working with switch type 5ESS, but any calls to ARS ended up at the Operator. I broke it by trying to set it like the Asterisk box, where the Dialogic said, "Waiting on the D Channel". I have set it back and the PRI is up, but now the Dialogic says "User Not Found" when I try to dial an extension on the Magix. I am trying to get it back to the way I had it, so at least that much works.

I only know enough to be dangerous, so I am wondering if anyone here has ideas on what to check to allow the Dialogic out through ARS. My TIE and Non-TIE Lines are unrestricted. FRL is set to 3 in the Non-Local UDP Plan. I am sure I am missing something very obvious or I have done, redone and done it over again so many times that I have made it worse.

One last bit. Either because of the number of Trunks or something I do not comprehend, only the first 8 channels of this PRI are accessible from the Magix. Lines 573-580 and B Channels 1701 through 1708. I get dinged at whenever I go outside those bounds. It doesn't matter since, it seems to work and I do not foresee ever needing more than this number of channels. If I do, I will have to get another PRI and I will move the splitting to the Adit.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. This is the final piece to getting this working and I'm coming up fast on my deadline.

I can probably even offer a few billable hours for it, if that is what it takes.

Thank You,
Jeremy Gruen

So the key to letting the Dialogic call to extensions is to have incoming routing set to "Routing by Dial Plan". Dialing out through ARS or directly to the Trunk Pool still gets the "User Not Found" message on the Dialogic.

So the magic Magix configuration seems to be.

No TEI. Merlin-Netwk for the Switch Type. Direct to UDP for inbound Dialing. I am not sure what the Network Services is set to. I am going to print it out and see what it says.

The Dialogic is using 5ESS.

It is always helpful to just come out here and write this all out.

I guess I a mean to say that it is now working. I fixed it. I am not sure exactly how my attempt worked this round, but it did. So this issue is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back