Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialog after serious crash each time starting Win XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfitzner

Programmer
Nov 17, 2000
BR
Hi to all,

Windows XP had a problem with my graphic driver
and crashed (Yes it really does!!) because
the graphic driver was in an infinite loop.

After restarting the system a dialog appeared
with some help information... Everything was fine
after installing a new graphic driver. But now
each time, when I start Windows XP this help dialog appeares.
There does not exist any button or something else
which says do not show this dialog again.
What can I do? Does there exist a list with all
error messages in which I can delete this information
dialog?

Thanks a lot
-Christoph

It would help if we knew what the dialog says. Also check your System Properties > Hardware> Device Manager to make sure some residual problem device isn't lingering behind.

XP may have left something in your startup. Before you dismiss the dialog use Taskmanager (CTRL-ALT-DEL > Applications) to see what program is running that is displaying the dialog box. Then see if that program is running in startup.

Do the following:
1. start --> run --> msconfig
2. Click on the "startup" tab (furthest right)3. Unclick any items you don't want to load when windows starts.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

What kind of PC and video card do you have. XP has a problem with some video cards on laptops. Specifically the Dell Inspiron 8100 & the GeForce2Go card. Mark

Dell Inspiron 8100
PIII 1ghz, 256mb, 30 gb HD
64mb GeForce2Go

I've got an ASUS AGP-V7100 graphic card. but after installing the new driver I had never any problems with the graphic driver again.
The problem with the dialog that appeared each time booting the system I've resolved. The dialog said:
"System has been started again after a fatal error.
For this error a protocol has been created."
I've deleted the protocol-files and after that the dialog never appears again. But I couldn't find out from where it has been invoked.

Does the XP error log get sent to Microsoft ok? If so, have you checked with Microsoft to see if they have determined what the problem is? The address for the site to check is: Mark

Dell Inspiron 8100
PIII 1ghz, 256mb, 30 gb HD
64mb GeForce2Go

I had the same problem on a Sony laptop and after a complete re-image of the system the problem continued. Sony's accepted it as a hardware fault and arranged to have it swapped out.

I wish I could tell you more - but the system got stolen from my care outside the shop in Edinburgh on the friday before Christmas!!!

So if anyone gets hold of a sony laptop with this problem then please hand it into the police.

Thanks

Mike

P.S. I had tried reinstalling drivers, both sony's, ATI's and Microsofts own certified drivers all with no sucess, as well as 3 seperate attempts to reimage the system.

Mike Hoffman
Mike@mcsch.org.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back