Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dialing Analogue Phone line from ISDN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2002
GB
Hi,

I am having problems with dialing from an ISDN line to an analogue line using win2k. Basically when I dial this server which is over 150 miles away, all I get is a busy tone or the computer doesn't answer, but when I dial up from an analogue line it answer straight away with no problems. is there something to do with the long distance or is there some sort of setting in windows to the way the call is made. I can dial up a local server which is using an analogue line so therefore I would have thought that I could have dialed up the other server without any problems.

Can anyone help!
Cheers

Could it be that the analog line is going through a Centrex system (requires a "9" prefix in the dial string)?

If so, are you using the "9" prefix in your ISDN string?

If so, try eliminating the "9" prefix in the string for the ISDN modem, it may not be passing through a Centrex system.

start > settings > dail-up networking > right-click your connection and view the dailing properties. as long as you are useing the same line for the local connection that works, you should be able dail anywhere with it. just to let you know... your connection speed will be limited once connecting because of the analogue/digital switching. more than one and all you can get is V34 modem speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back