Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbiker

MIS
Aug 23, 2001
US
I have been attempting to dial into my Win 2000 server and use the default connection to connect to the Internet.

NO LUCK!

I can dial into the server, establish the connection, however I cannot ping anything. I cannot even connect to the Terminal Server function on the Win 2000 server.

DHCP is enabled so it is getting an address assignment from the DHCP server (separate box), but I cannot ping the gateway, or even the static address of the Win 2000 server.

Any suggestions?

Happy Holidays

First which os r u using for DUN client? If its win2000 pro check if u r logged onto the network...'n if its 9x then check...

1)if its logged onto the network
2)ipconfig to reveal the details as to the addrs scheme being correct..like dns, leased ip, class etc.
3)Server ip definitely is hard coded, isn't it...see if the dhcp scope is correct...
4)Appropriate ip packet filtering has been done in profile tab of ras setting...
5)ip routing is enabled...(not always reqd.)
6)At times you may need wins to enable lan browsing by remote 9x client.
Lastly upgrade DUN client 1.3 to 1.4 'n check the encryption type.

Hope this helps. wiedersehn

MY client is a Win2000pro. However once this get's operational I'm hoping any client could attach.

My ultimate goal is to have a dial-in connection to this ONE server. From this server you would have access to the Internet via the servers Default Gateway, or access to the Intranet Server, (Another Win2000 server). This server would give you the "allowable" access to the rest of the network via the Web Server. No other access is wanted.

That's it. Other than if your authinticated then you could use the Termianl Client if you had it on your log-In machine.

So basically in a nut shell, on the initial client attach, once they log-in via the DUN, that's all the networking that is to be available to them.

One last item, this server is also used Internally on the LAN for Terminal Services between subnet locations. But I don't think this should have any effect except for showing that the server is functioning. I attempted to dial-up the server just a few minutes ago, I did an "IPCONFIG /ALL" and saw nothing out of place. I received an IP address, even the DNS addresses were their, but you could not ping the IP. For that matter you could not ping any IP except Loopback.

Any Help is GREATLY appreciated.

Happy Holidays All..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back