Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up via broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

sozzer

Technical User
Apr 4, 2005
GB
I have a strange request and not sure if it can be done but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My work laptop runs NT4, is thoroughly locked down but I can access my email on it if I use the SSL dial up function - not great but it does the job.

At home, I have one phone point downstairs that runs ADSL signal to a wireless router which my PC upstairs connects to.

WHat I want to be able to do is to 'dial up' through the broadband connection on my PC upstairs, without having to go downstairs and plug in the laptop to the phone socket, ie plug it into the PC or some kind of interface between PC and laptop.

Does anyone know whether this can be done and what hardware/ software I might need to do this?

Many thanks

It can be done, but it will cost and resource prohibitive. If you install a serial terminal server at both locations, put your external modem by the phone line and connect it to one terminal server you can attach your laptop to the other terminal server, use the "open terminal window before dialing" option so that you can telnet from the local terminal server to the remote, and then the modem appears to be directly attached to your laptop.

Now it should dial up as if it were a local modem.

Of course you could pay the $45 or whatever it is now to have the phone company extend your phone line to where you need it.

pansophic

thanks. might just extend the line!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back