Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2001
US
My laptop gets on the office DSL perfect but when I get home to use the dial up it has a problem. It dials and connects but will not surf and I cannot get my e-mail. I check my connection properties and it shows that it is recieving. Would love some help...

Sounds like a DNS issue. I'm assuming you're office LAN connection is provided by a different company than your dialup service is? If so, sounds like a global DNS issue. To test this out, dial into your provider, and for the web address, type in (just this number, no HTTP or whatever) 66.218.71.81 . If that works, try typing . If THAT fails, it's a DNS issue.

On your start menu, go to Start, Connect To, and Show All Connections. Right-click on your dialup connection, and go to Properties. Click the networking tab, select Internet Protocol TCP/IP, and hit properties. Make sure that obtain an IP address and obtain a DNS address automatically are selected.

I'm kind of confused as to why anyone would be in that connection changing a DNS address anyway. That's very rare that anyone would want to change that to anything other than obtain automatically.

probably a proxy misconfiguration. Even though you are getting dialed up correctly. Your home ISP and work ISP are probably on different proxy configs. Check your internet properties of the dun connection you are using and ensure that the proxy matches that of your ISP's specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back