Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-Up PCI Modem as VOIP adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I just got to thinking about something again, and thought that MAYBE someone around here has tinkered with the same or similar idea, or know of someone who has... maybe an online reference/discussion?

Instead of writing a story, here's my thought/idea/question:

Is it possible to use a standard old dial-up modem (56K or whatever) to connect a standard/analog phone to your PC to use over VOIP? I've seen all the various adapters out there, but I already have a few modems lying around if I've not tossed all the possibly working ones. [smile]

Any thoughts there? Any experience, or knowledge perhaps on how those things worked with phones? I remember that some had a separate "line" connection and "phone" connection, which I assumed was line-in, and line-out to phone, but never really tinkered there.

Thanks in advance for any conversation/suggestions on the topic.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Well, after doing some more thinking, and some more reading, maybe it's not really possible? It seems most conversations go to saying well, it's too slow to be worth anything..

But my idea is to take the phone, connect that to PC via the modem, and then connect PC over web VOIP via the broadband connection..

I see there are various adapters available for analog to USB, but surely there'd be a way with just an old modem? Ah, I don't know, maybe not... maybe IF there is, it's too involved? Well, I'll ponder off and on about it, I suppose. [smile]

--

True. I'm just thinking more-so if I were to use a cordless phone set - that'd be the primary advantage. I've got one of those kits (really nice, I think) that has a base unit with regular phone, speakerphone, and digital voicemail, as well as 1 or 2 wireless handsets, all wireless from the host... on the 5Ghz spectrum, by AT&T.

I originally used it with a magic jack. The magic jack was a gift, and it worked okay - I wouldn't consider it my primary phone for sure, as it did have its issues, but it did work - some/most of the time. Well, in moving stuff around, I lost the AC adapter for the main phone, and therefore couldn't really use the whole setup, so it just sat there... until the magic jack deal expired (1 year contract or however long).

So, now I've got the extra phone setup sitting there, and I was trying to think of a way to use it with a GOOD VOIP service, if it's free... And I found one that looks like it's free and GOOD, which was amazing to me. If I ever get to where I can actually FIND the telephone AC adapter, or pull one out of a pile that'll work, then I'll look into the other VOIP, and be sure to post a reference here. We'll see, too big a to-do list of my own making to guarantee. [spineyes]

The idea I had was to connect the phone to the modem, in order to have a phone-line way of connecting the phone to the PC, without buying new hardware, like one of the VOIP network adapters. Of course, I suppose that's always an option, but old modems, I most certainly can always find laying around. ;p

--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back