Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-Up on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegnut

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
Here's my situation...

I have a Dell Lattitude C610 dual-booting XP and RH8.0. This laptop has a PCtel modem in it (which I got the drivers for at and finally got the modem functional.

My question is, what is the best program to use for dial-up? kppp keeps crapping out on me, I cant get wvdial to read it's own default config file. The only way I can get it to work is to activate it through the Network Settings in the RedHat "Start" menu.

That's fine and all, but I want regualar users to be able to activate this, which they can't bring up that GUI without root password. Any help on this or if anyone has set procedures for this I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
J

I have used wvdial to use my laptop dialup connection. I recall it being pretty dependable but requiring a little reading (as usual with linux) on setting up. Try "man wvdial" to get started. If I recall there is also a wvdial configuration file (wvdialconf?) that should contain information on where you are calling, modem type, etc.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back