Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial Up Networking Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ferret

MIS
Jun 2, 2000
US
Is there a program or a way to create an install program that will set up a dial up network connection with the phone number, ip addresses and whatnot?  We want to use this to give our users at distant locations so we don't have to go set them up.

If I understand what you're saying correctly then all you have to do is make a Dial up connection with your comp's # and distribute it out to each location. They'll double-click it and they're on their way.

Thanks for the response Kreep.  Yes you have it correct.  We want the user to be able to run a setup program that will set up the dial-up connection with the appropriate phones numbers and TCP/IP settings.  I know it has to be possible because thats exactly what the ISPs do to set up their connections.  Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

You'll have to know, for each user, whether they're on a LAN (in which case, you wouldn't use DUN), and you'll have to know the IP of their ISP's domain name server.<br><br>DUN is used to connect to an ISP, not to connect to you <font color=green>AFTER</font> they've connected to the ISP.<br><br>You could always ship them a copy of a program like PCAnywhere with your IP already set up (and your phone number set up as a secondary point, in case they don't have internet access), although I suspect that you'll want the connection in the other direction, that is, <b>you</b> control <b>their</b> computer.

Thanks for the response aklein!&nbsp;&nbsp;Actually I do know that information. This setup will be used by our company users to setup their computers to dial into our RAS.&nbsp;&nbsp;What we want to do is send the remote users a disk that will automatically set up a DUN connection with the appropriate DNS and WINS addresses already set into the setup so all the user has to do is run the setup from the disk.&nbsp;&nbsp;Any ideas?&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back