Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial Up Networking Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielCrook

Technical User
Mar 27, 2002
GB
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how I can get it to save my password when dialing out. At the moment, I click 'save my password' but it doesn't seem to work.
Anything in Dial-Up Networking properties worth looking at?
I'm on Windows 98.

Thanks.

Daniel.

Since I've done this more times than I'd like to admit, did you click OK after checking 'Save My PW'?

If so, then see if uninstalling and reinstalling the ISP's settings or software helps.

Sometimes the ISP forces a password prompt. Depends if you use the old win98 internet connection or some newer application like what you would see with the newest version of XP or IE or Netscape. Unfortunately, Some OS are no longer on MS Automatic Update.

Sometimes if you delete the ISP connection and dialer, then when you set it up again, it works better. Remember to save your settings on a piece of paper.

Sometimes you can get better results by downloading the latest version of IE or Netscape. Make sure to get the latest version based on your operating system. Some newer versions do not work on Win98 or other MS operating system.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

It only actually saves the password after a successful connect.

Put in the password, click "save password", then connect... once you've connected, the password should be saved for the next time.

Just my $0.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify its owner." --Me
--Greg

Actually, when you first start up Windows, does it ask for a password? If so, and you hit "escape" or click on cancel, then Windows won't save the DUN passwords.

If so, then this is very fixable.

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back