Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial-up Modem disconnect problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomx2

Programmer
Apr 20, 2010
US
Hi.

I am running under Windows XP using Dial-up connection.
My modem is a Conexant Soft56k.

The dial-up is disconnecting constantly daily.
I checked the Modem error log with the following message:
“CD dropped--Remote modem hung up. ModemStatus=00000030”

I don’t have any call-waiting or special features on my phone to interrupt my connection.

Does anyone know what this error message is and hot can I resolve the problem.

Thanks.
TC.

well a couple thoughts,
presuming this has happened multiple times, I would want to check the modem out with something like modem doctor,
2nd if you get one the line with a regular phone and call the line from another source like a cell phone do you get a busy signal ? if you do it's not likly to be a phone company routing issue, on the other hand if you if it rings, they (meaning the phone CO) do have call waiting or something going on, also look at the line Cords that they all are in good condition, no lumps, or anything where it shouldn't be,
finally you didn't indicate how long it was before the carrier Dropped, i.e. right away when handshaking or after the connection is established,

A few more thoughts...

Have a telephone handset plugged in near where the modem is connected. 'Half dial' a phone number so the line loses dial tone. Is it completely silent, or do you hear noise, audio hum, or crackles on the line, etc? If it is not completely silent, then track down the source of the noise or interference if you can - internal or external, etc., etc. Noise or interference on a telephone line can certainly cause a modem to drop carrier.

Are you running the modem off a secondary socket, or with a long telephone extension cable? Temporarily move the computer and try connecting the modem with a short lead directly into the Master telephone socket. If possible, eliminate all other wiring within the property. In the U.K., a correctly wired BT NTE5 Master Socket will allow you to remove the front cover and plug directly in the Test socket. Removal of this front cover should, if wired properly, disconnect all other secondary telephone cabling within the building.

Are you in an electrically noisy or RF prone environment? That could have an effect on the modem if it's really bad.

And finally... Make sure there is no power saving feature enabled on the modem Look in the properties for the modem in Device Manager.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back