Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up connections causing loss of network connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstacy1

Technical User
May 21, 2002
US
Hello all, I have found that certain dial up and network connections, when connected, cause me to lose access to all of my network resources. This includes mapped drives, internet access, etc.

Any ideas on what settings may be the problem? I know that in NT there was a "use default gateway" or something like that that actually sent network requests through the machine you were dialed into. Anyone have any suggestions?

It does sound like the network subnet you are using for your own network and the one you are dialing into are the same.

Because they are the same you will be recieving a Default Gateway from your dialup which is causing your machine to send all request out the dialup.

Your own network should be in the 192.168.X.X or 10.1.X.X that way the internet (dialup connection) should not be in the same subnet.

The 192.168.X.X and 10.1.X.X are reserved for internal networks only. New Zealand, a great place to visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back