Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up connection export.

Status
Not open for further replies.

l33byt1

Vendor
Feb 21, 2006
GB
Hi all. I have a Win2K Machine with around 150 Dial up connections which I need to export onto XP Pro.
Now with XP I can make a copy and move onto another machine however Win2k only creates a shortcut. Am I doing some thing wrong or is this feature not allowed. Thanks

The shortcuts (I'm assuming you mean on the desktop?) refer to the connections that you will find if you - right-click My Network Places and select properties. there you will see all of your connections. I can't offer help on how to copy them accross to XP as it's not something I have had to do but this is where you will find the connections themselves that your shortcuts refer to.
I may be way off the mark for what you are looking for or too late but hope it helps in some way.
I have to ask....why 150 dial-up connections?

You can export the information found here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\RemoteAccess

and import it on the target computer, but the modems will be different so you will still have to touch every connection to select the correct modem.

I have tried importing. There is only 10 of my 150 in the remoteaccess folder.

Are you saying that once you import to XP, only 10 of them show up, or that on the source 2000 machine, there are only 10 in that hive?

I have exactly the same issue. Is there no way of exporting the dial-up configs in W2K? (I know how to do it on XP, but the rasphone.pbk does not exist in W2K). It does not seem to store all the configs in the registry, as suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back