Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dial up and disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snooky

Programmer
Apr 22, 2001
US
when going on the internet, i touch my desktop icon and the Dial Up Connection Box pops-up. the "connect to" box. in this box is earthlink_____________(my name). i hit the down arrow and there is start.earthlink.net (the one i need. i hit this, put in my password hit connect, etc, etc. when i get off the internet, i have to hit the icons to get the disconnect button.
i had installed ie6 and its patch. everything was almost automatic before then. cannot figure out where that earthlink_____________ came from or why when i get off the internet, the disconnect box does not auto pop-up.
i know this is very trivial, but so far there is nothing i have not seen you guys not solve unless it is really weird.

snooky

Have you tried contacting your ISP (Eartlink)about this?
Chances are their software created the behaviour you had initially and the Service Pack altered one of their settings. They may be able to tell you how to restore this function without having to reinstall their software.

Control Panel\Internet options\Connections tab\put an X by Always Dial My Default Connection\Apply. Although I never check this box(I would rather click on my "connect" button when I want to go on the internet), I have noticed that whenever I DO check this box and then click on my IE icon, to I get my ISP connection box and when I close my IE down, the 'disconnect' box pops up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back