Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial up Access through Digi Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxrxyxe

IS-IT--Management
May 23, 2001
US
I am working on a SCO 5.06 server, and I need dial up access for remote locations. All they need to receive is a SCO logon. What would be the best way to set this up? I have the digi boards installed. Does anybody have any tips on configuring the serial ports on the digi boards using the MPI utility?

~brye

i usually setup the ports to use xon/off flow at 9600.
gettydef m. you can go as high as your modems support, but for normal term apps, 9600 seems good, 19200 ok, but any higher than that EC slows me down and makes the connection unstable. of course im in Louisiana and the phones lines are horrible most of the time.
i recommend multitech modems, if you are wondering about that too.
give some more specifics about what you are doing at these remotes, and maybe i can recommend term emu software or muxes and stuff.

mbrown@computereaseinc.net

The remote sites are doing a simple text based transfer for a small application. The problem that I am getting is that once the modems establish their connection, the client side recives no login.

The emulation software I am use is Anzio Lite, and at both sites I am using US Robotics 56k modems.

~brye

are the ports enabled?
do the baud rates match on the modems and the port in unix and on the term emu soft?
how about the flow control?

What port designators are you using. Sounds like the terminal designator, not the modem.
You also might want to lock the USR modems to 9600 using N6 and U6 in the init string. I use USR 33,6s under the hayes2400 dialer locking into 9600. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

We use a digi for a helpline sytems with a bunch of modems on it. You don't have to do anything special with mpi (other than maybe changing the altpin to detect dcd, but that depends on if you are using RJ45 or DB25 connectors).
I also set things up so that it does not matter what the connection speed of the modems is.

Here are some examples of the other configuration files you do need to modify.

/etc/inittab (/etc/conf/init.d/epca) eg.
EA10:23:respawn:/etc/getty ttyA10 hard8

/etc/gettydefs
hard8 # B38400 HUPCL # B38400 CS8 SANE HUPCL TAB3 ICANON ECHOE -CLOCAL -IXON -IX
OFF RTSFLOW CTSFLOW #\r\n@!login: # hard8

usr/lib/uucp/Devices
ACU ttyA10 - 38400 atdialUSR

Hope this helps.

stan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back