Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial the phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

donbott

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
US
We still say "dial the number" years after dials are gone from phones. Does anyone have a good term to use with a key pad? I haven't heard anything that sounds correct.

Thanks

Don B

As long as the sound you hear is still referred to as a "dial tone" I think you will have a long uphill battle on this one.
[lol]

Some of us still ATDP. And on the phones that have conversion built in I plink the pad because that is the aural feedback.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

ATDT rules! With ATS11=60 for dialing with superhuman speed!. I cannot believe I remember that!

+++ ATH

-------------------------------------
A sacrifice is harder when no one knows you've made it.

people also still say they "got a wrong connection" instead of admitting they dialed/punched/worded a wrong number.
Telephone switchboard operators manually connecting calls have been gone since around WW2...

jwenting said:
people also still say they "got a wrong connection" instead of admitting they dialed/punched/worded a wrong number.
Telephone switchboard operators manually connecting calls have been gone since around WW2...
You can still get a wrong connection. My cell phone company will never admit that they connected a call wrong, but I see it as a little odd that I speed dial my home number and get the pizza place.

Casper

There is room for all of gods creatures, "Right Beside the Mashed Potatoes".

Casper,
You live at a pizza place... You're so lucky.

[laughtears][laughtears][laughtears]

Mike

No Worse... Above one... Have to smell it all day, but don't get to eat any.. JK

Casper

telephone operators finally went away in the mid 1970's, thank you! well, at least around here, they lasted that long! I will agree, they don't always connect you to the correct number.........I get idiots calling on my phone all the time!!!!!!!!! oh wait......actually........I think those are people I just don't want to talk to.........

That is why I like to answer the phone with "County Morgue, How can I direct your call". My friends and family know it's just me, but it sure does get those tele-marketers off the line real quick.

Casper

My answering machine message used to say " Incontinence Hotline, can you hold? "

DonBott

take two of these and call me in the morning

Ha Ha

If you are experiencing Fecal Urgency please press 1

Casper

telephone operators may have lasted longer, but the days when they manually made connections by inserting the correct plugs in a switchboard (where the phrase "wrong connection" comes from) are long gone :)

Okay what then do we call it when you dial a number but get connected to a wrong number. Is that a right connection? Or maybe it's a left connection?

As much as the phrase comes from the days of the telephone operator, I think it still works today. At least more sense than Dial the number.

Casper

I've decided to change my answering machine message again
"Thanks for calling Don's Laundry. If you need to have a shirt ironed, press one."

DonBott

take two of these and call me in the morning

That is why I like to answer the phone with "County Morgue, How can I direct your call". My friends and family know it's just me, but it sure does get those tele-marketers off the line real quick.
Good one, must remember it.

Okay what then do we call it when you dial a number but get connected to a wrong number. Is that a right connection? Or maybe it's a left connection?

That depends on where you are. If in the UK or Japan, take the reverse of what's logical (after all they drive on the left side of the road which is clearly not the right side to drive on).
If in Australia or France, take a compromise solution and just call it a connection without bothering whether it's right or wrong :)
Anywhere else, apologise and dial the correct number next time.

Anywhere else, apologise and dial the correct number next time.

Yeah I hate it when I dial the wrong nubmer even though I am using speed dial or dialing from my cell phones address book... Must be all my fault, because since computers do the connections there could never be a mistake!!!

Casper

yeah, right. computers don't make mistakes........I'm sure I can find some mistakes somewhere........whatever. I think that there are still little elves inside all our cell phones connecting all the "incorrect wires" to dial our speed dial numbers incorrectly!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back