Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dial 9 prefix before 911 call

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernardj

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2014
CA
Hi, we have a user accidentally dial 911 when the person trying to make a long distance call. (9 to call external line and 1 for long distance, accidentally dial extra 1). Is there a way to add 9 prefix before the 911 call? So it will be 9,911 for the emergency call.

Thanks in advanced for answer.

Bernard

best practice is to change the dial out code to 8 or 7. and leave 911 alone. All you need is someone visiting and needing emergency services and trying to dial 911 and not getting out.
Mike

I usually turn on enbloc dialing if it just one user. That gives you time to dial, and then just press the 'call' button.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

To answer your question - yes, you can but it is not highly recommended.

To do so you would modify the "11" entry in the ARS table, whether that be to set to barred or what have you.

Changing the dial out code to a digit other than 9 can help avoid the issue all together. Also train users to not hang up if they do accidentally dial 911 and inform the dispatch individual of what happened (this is obviously a much bigger deal in some areas than others).

I am UK based so not 100% convergent with the US network limitations (I know they are not as flexible as ours ;-) ) but you could try this

amend you short-code 911 to 911; as previously suggested, this will wait for the dial delay timeout before processing then add an additional SC to allow the user to cancel the error, something like

SC: 911*
TN <blank>
Feature busy

thus enabling the user to dial * before he time-out expires to cancel the 911 call

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back