Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHTML Navigation Bar and Form Field in Netscape cause problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alysen

Technical User
Jun 15, 2000
US
I was implementing a DHTML navigation system such as microsoft.com's onto my webpage.&nbsp;&nbsp;I found a few scripts, but I have run into the same problem with all of them....<br><br>In Netscape, the drop-down menu falls BEHIND any form fields in it's way.&nbsp;&nbsp;A sample of the script I have been working with is at: <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> there anyway to get around this problem? The drop-down menu drops on top of text and images fine, but for some reason in Netscape (Netscape only...in IE it works fine), this annoying problem occurs.<br><br>Any help, advice or solutions from the experts would be greatly appreciated!<br><br>Thanks!<br>Alysen<br><A HREF="mailto:alysen@aci.com">alysen@aci.com</A>

It is a common fault that any form elements will be displayed above any other items. Setting z-index is not a solution as this is something that Netscape simply won't do. The only solution that I can think off is to put any form fields that would be in the way on hidden. So in case the menu is too long and would get on top of a form element temporarily hide it.<br><br>I'm not really sure, but I think this goes for any kind of object.<br><br>I have not heard of any other solutions, but if you hear anything....I'm always keen to learn more.<br><br>Max Davidse<br>Programmer @ Doublespace Europe.

Just a suggestion, but you could invert the bar and have the menus open upward instead of down, thereby eliminating the covering of forms, text, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp;MyNavBar1.invert()<br><br>I used this same navbar and had a lot of trouble with it at first, but now it's working fine.&nbsp;&nbsp;This might be directed to Alysen more, but I would like suggestions as to how to get the same navbar to work after saving as a template.&nbsp;&nbsp;The scripts won't run unless they're in the main directory. (I'm using FP 98 to develop a particular site)&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a total of 3 different scripts on one page and all work fine until saved as a template.&nbsp;&nbsp;Would love some help if anyone is familiar with this.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks

E Did someone say FP98? I'm sorry but I hate that program.<br><br>But like I said, the only way is to avoid any kind of objects near menu layers.<br><br>Oh well, see what you do with it..<br><br>Max Davidse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back