Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

spkrck

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
US
Greetings,
I am setting up a VPN server that has two NIC's. I am using it for wireless security. I have figured out everything I need, to shut down the wireless clients access, until they authenicate thru VPN to gain internet access.
I have one card set up with a non-routable ip, and the other set up with our standard setup. I have the wireless node setup with a non-routable IP as well. The wireless node and the non-routable NIC are setup on it's own VLAN.
Everything works fine, except at this point, I have to give the client a static ip (non-routable)to connect to the node.
I also should say that the Non-routable IP's are set up with a 24 bit subnet mask, and the standard IP's are 16 bit. Never can be too careful.
Now, what I need to know is.....
If I setup DHCP on this same server, with the non-routable IP address as the server Identifier, do I have to worry about DHCP sending out IP addresses to the routable clients that are on the 16 bit subnet mask?
ANY HELP?
THANKS!!!!
Dennis

I dont think so since they are using different subnet masks.

It seems to me that you really don't have to go through all this trouble just for wireless security though. Why not use 128-bit encryption and allow only the users' MAC addresses in the wireless LAN?

Thanks for the response. MAC addresses can be spoofed. This way I can have more control over who has access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back