Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAPIA

Technical User
Aug 10, 2002
US
Under Windows 2000 Professional is there a way to setup
the DHCP Client to point to the DHCP Server on our Network?
If so how.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Just set TCP/IP to obtain IP address automatically on win2k pro box (presume you want to pick up IP address from DHCP server?)

Thanks for your help!

I donot want to pick up IP address for the win2k pro box
it has a static IP, But when remote users call in I would
like for them to pickup and IP address from our
DHCP Server.

In our Incoming Connections under Networking - TCP/IP

I have check Assign TCP/IP addresses automatically using DHCP.

But when I look in the Event Viewer I have Warning:
Unable to contact a DHCP Server.

I'm looking for a way to connect to the DHCP Client to tell it the IP Address of the DHCP server.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Which event log are you referring to? The client machine which is connecting to your computer or the Win2K box itself?

As far as I am aware, the setting you are referring to is the correct one to assign, but this will probably vary depending on how your network is setup.

Is your incoming connection a direct call, or a vpn connection?

If it is the latter, & you have a router, depending on its configuration it may be causing the problem. Certain routers allow vpn pass through (where I believe they make a direct connection through the router to a client pc), or they support vpn themselves. Our router supports vpn, & it is the router itself which both accepts the incoming connection & assigns ip addresses. Client pcs on our network dont then see the remote computer as a foreign entity... James Goodman

jgoodman00,

ans:

1-System Log
2-vpn connection

Yes! We do have a Router, I'll take a look at the router to see if we have a problem.

Thanks For your time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back