Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP W2K I have to change my IP pool - How is the best way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigmarole

IS-IT--Management
Jun 30, 2000
US
Windows 2000 server
Active Directroy
DHCP running well

I currently have a superscope consisting of 3 scopes (fragments of a full range of IP addresses). DHCP is dishing these out just fine.

I asked for a FULL range and was give a new full range of IP addresses.

I've added the New addresses (and new scope) in DHCP (using MMC plug in) and none of the new addresses are being dished out.
The lease time on the current addresses is set for one day.

I know the workstation looks for the last address it was given first, and I don't know how to change that either.

I suspect it is because the new range (and new scope) is not a part of the superscope.

How do I deactivate the superscope and activate the new scope without disrupting current users?

It may be just that simple - deactivate the superscope - but I wanted to ask someone first.

All you need to do is deactivate the superscope and/or the scopes within it. It will start issuing NACK's to the clients that try to renew their leases in those pools, and when they go back into plaintive mode, they will be dealt new addresses from the Active scope.

ShackDaddy

ShackDaddy,
I disabled my superscope (which contains the 3 scopes) and verified that the scope was active.

Then tried logging in with my test pc and it failed to recieve an IP address.

I'm going to try adding the new scope to the superscope and see what happens. Any other suggestions will be willingly accepted.

Are you able to disable the individual scopes within the superscope, or does the superscope activate and deactivate them en masse? I haven't used it for a while.

I think the new scope does need to be inside the superscope, since superscopes are made to handle multiple networks on the same segment. You will just need to deactivate the other child scopes within the superscope.

Barring that, you could set the lease time today on your superscope to 1 day (assuming your current duration is 3 days or less) and then on Friday evening delete the current superscope and create the new one. Within 24 hours, all your clients would be on the new scope.

ShackDady,

Yes I can disable each scope within the supscope. That was what gave me the idea of putting the new scope within the superscope. I'm in the process of weeding out the few Static IPs (printers, servers, etc) and moving them out of one of the scopes. Then I'll simply turn that scope off and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back