Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP vs Static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjmdt

Programmer
May 17, 2002
US
I am trying to decide between putting in a Static IP DSL or a DHCP DSL. Our Novell network already acts as a DHCP Server on our network, and I have had a DHCP DSL Router before, so I know this works, but I want to be able to come in over the internet and either log in as a workstation or take control of a PC on the workstation. Can I do that with a DHCP DSL, or do I have to have a Static IP?

Thanks

well, either one will really work, the only problem is that if you do DHCP, you will just have to figure out how to find out what PC got what IP. If you do static, you can just assign it.
shnypr-small.gif

If I go with DHCP how do I figure out the IP Address, it doesn't usually look like a regular IP address.

Im not sure what you mean by an irregular IP address. They should look exactly the same as the ones you would statically assign.
shnypr-small.gif

Are you talking about DHCP on your network or getting a dynamic IP on your DSL router via PPP dial up? Two very different things. If you are wanting to host internet accessible services on your network like a web server or mail server then you really could do with having an IP range assigned to you. You would then be able to reach your network from the outside via static IP's. On the other hand you could have a "dial up" service so that your router authenticates on a RADIUS server (or similar) and gets assigned a single IP from the pool. The only problem with this (if you're a business) is that you can't map IP addresses to services.

Our business clients tend to side with static IP's with their DSL service. Most of them have there own mail servers and have mail delivered via SMTP so we need to map their DNS MX record to an IP on a range that we assign them.

Of course, this doesn't stop you from using your Novell server as a DHCP server for "internal" IP allocation.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Hi, you can use DHCP if you want and always know what IP is attributed to witch computer. All you have to do is to create a reservation. A reservation is link to a computer's NIC MAC address.

Some of our users like the Static IP to VPN over the internet. I would decide on security as being your factor. Way both of them and decide that way. They are both good, but again it is the security aspect of your network setup that should be the Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back