Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP using the IPO Contril Unit or network switch as DHCP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eaglepromopro

Systems Engineer
Feb 25, 2023
US
I have a single site with 9.0 and 60 Endpoints using 9611 handsets.

The wiring for the handsets are separate from the data network. I have never set up one with the control nit as the DHCP as I have always used 9508 DS sets.

Should I set up the DHCP on the control unit or should I use the data network as the DHCP.

I looked for docs on setting up the DHCP but its been a little confusing and I was not able to get the internet connection to work for the voice mail to email function from VMP.

Thank you

if you have separated networks then there is no reason not to use the IPO as DHCP server.

You have no status on it to see what was assigned to which MAC address no MAC address reservations either but that is not needed in most day to day operations.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

If you give more information you will get better answers. If you only give bits and pieces then you will get the same back and maybe not fitting your problem.

Thanks, I have tired to set it up but I am having a few issues. Is there a FAQ or document that will provide me with step by step set up instructions?

I am pretty sure there is somewhere but the help option in the LAN should show something.

here is all you should need
Set the DHCP mode in LAN - LAN settings to server
click on Advanced
Edit the entry there
enter start address and subnet mask as well as the system as Default router and enter the pool size. If you do not enter anything in the Default router then it looks for the IP routes and tries to find the gateway from there. With a segregated network you may not have Internet access and a router connected so it depends on your network setup and when in doubt the IPO address as default router should work.

make sure the IPO and no other device on that network (switches AP's etc) are within the DHCP range

The IP phones will ping the default gateway when they boot up and if they cannot ping come up with "Bad Router" message

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

If you give more information you will get better answers. If you only give bits and pieces then you will get the same back and maybe not fitting your problem.

You have no status on it to see what was assigned to which MAC address no MAC address reservations either but that is not needed in most day to day operations.

If you enable development tracing in sysmon (use at your own risk according to Avaya), then click DHCP status you can see the lease status, IP to mac correlation, lease expiry, free up an address, etc.

I had to do that when a customer switched out their network switches and half the phones weren't getting addresses, and of course, the IPO DHCP server must have been the problem, according to the customer. They were using the IPO for DHCP on the voice VLAN and a MS DHCP server for everything else. No idea why they did that, I inherited the system that way.

In the end, several ports on their new switches were misconfigured. They fixed that, and amazingly all the phones were working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back