Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP to Routers Interface 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekidcisco

Technical User
Mar 6, 2001
AU
Q) How do I configure my Cisco-803 to receive it's IP from a DHCP server? There is only one active interface and that is E0 (ethernet 0).

This is what I have done thus far-

!
no ip subnet-zero
ip dhcp relay information policy keep
!
ip dhcp pool cable
network x.0.0.0 x.0.0.0
default-router x.x.x.x
dns-server x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
domain-name my.isp.net.au
lease infinite
!
no ip finger
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
no ip address
ip helper-address x.x.x.x
!

Q) What a I missing? Is there anything stupid I'm not looking into? I see the ethernet0 counters increase so it's receiving some sort of broadcast stuff, yet there is not DHCP address given to E0 !!! Please help!!!

E0 will not get a DHCP address. It must be a static IP address.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

How wrong you are wybnormal, do some research before giving others advise to your inadequate conclusions...

Read this link -

You need minimum 12.1(2)T, the T train provides the specific feature the command is (from CCO):

Router(config-if)# ip address dhcp

Specifies that the Ethernet interface acquires an IP address through DHCP.

Next time save your breath.

the Cisco kid should no shoot others for trying to help. This is a new feature and I am sure there are some that you are not aware of TOO!!!

Hibit
CCIE 2217

Hibit- sounds more like a setup from someone who learned one small piece that is new and wanted to brag some.

Cisco - congrats on finding a useful feature in the new IOS. dig back through the threads a few days since someone else was asking the same question and at that time nobody had this answer. It's you chance of being the "hero"

Not the first time I've made a mistake.. and it wont be the last. The good news is having someone like you pointing it out to me really doesnt bother me as I consider the source ;-)

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back