Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Snooping issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegguy92

Technical User
Mar 26, 2011
US
We have a complicated network but I'm going to try to keep this simple.

Ok I have a weird problem that neither I nor my network engineer can figure out. We have DHCP snooping enabled on all our switches. Everything works just fine except play station 3's do not get an IP on certain vlans say 29. However other devices on these ports work just fine. If we disable DHCP snooping on the switch the PS3 gets an IP.

The difference between the working and non working vlans is it's a different DHCP server. But our wireless (complicated setup) runs off the working DHCP server and PS3's get an IP but it's a private IP. However if we have our wireless be on VLAN 29 it does not work.

I am lost I guess can anyone tell me the difference between a PS3 DHCP request and a PC DHCP request? This is multiple VLANs having the issue I just used 29 as an example. I can't speek for the DHCP snooping fix for the other non working vlans but lets start with this one

Is the DHCP server for that segment a Cisco router/switch? If so you need to put in the "ip dhcp relay information trust-all" command.

We found the problem there was extra information in the packet the DHCP server sent out for our tss server for phones. For some reason only Playstation would read this information weird and when it sent out it's request packet it coded something weird that DHCP snooping didn't like and was blocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back