Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

frl

Technical User
Jul 28, 2003
US
Hello,

we are replacing our old NT domain with Win 2000 and AD. My procedure was to install a Win 2000 and AD on a new server. I installed everything and am testing at the evenings while no users are in the office. Then I just switch back to old NT domain. My plan is to finish this weekend. I set the DHCP lease on old domain for 1 day; and on Friday will just shutdown the old NT domain controller which is also a DHCP serever. Then I will install a DHCP server on the new domain controller; to use the same settings (address pool). Then during the weekend I will join all desktops to new domain.
Should I expect any DHCP issues with this procedure.
Thanks in advance!

that should be OK. alternatively, you may try to copy Dhcp.mdb into the new server. quoted from

How to restore or move a DHCP into another computer

The DHCP database is contained in the Dhcp.mdb file located in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Dhcp folder. The DHCP server uses this file to record and store information concerning active leases and reservations. After you install a new DHCP, you can copy Dhcp.mdb into the above mentioned location.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

i wouldn't necessarily recommend trying that way though

your talking about two different versions of dhcp and that aren't quite the saem...although on the top it may work

once you install dhcp on your new server (not recommended to be on DC), you need to authorize it in AD, uninstall DHCP from your NT4 box, and reboot your clients...they should pick up the lease automatically....a reboot releases the IP and it does another search for a DHCP server, so it should find the new oen no problem

its pretty straight forward

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Thanks for answers,

why it is not recommended to be on DC, we have a small LAN (30 PCs) with two servers. One will be the new DC (and I planned to install DHCP on it), the other is Domino server and I will promote it to a DC (for backup).

multiple jet databases would be one reason

another is that it can become an overload for the DC

in your case...you should be fine

90% of the time it is usually ok to run it on the DC..just not recommended

in other words, go ahead and install it on there

one tip though...when going through the wizard, yo uwill come to a point where it asks for the DNS domain name and the DNS servers...do not put a domain in there...only put the servers. This is the equivalent of setting connectio nspecific DNS suffixes which can cause issues

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging, MCSA03, A+
almost got a paragraph there :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back