Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP setup on 26XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr2000

Technical User
Mar 11, 2001
GB
How do I set up dhcp on my router. i can show the lease and servers, but dont know how to configure. Is this normal practice to configure a dhcp rather than use the cable modem.......etc etc etc

I'm not sure I understand your question? DHCP with a cable modem? Do you mean to ask about NAT in order to share the IP? Or are trying to serve DHCP to the clients on the end of the cable modem?

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

im trying to investigate if ican configure the ethernet address to work with the DHCP from the cable modem to configure the ethernet port.

More out of curiosity really, as I have managed to get the ethernet talking to the outside world via the cable modem.

Thanks.

Ahhh... you want to "give" and DHCP address to the routers interface like you would a client? That wont work that I'm aware of with the 2600. There may be some "tricks" out there so I wont say it cant but I've not seen it happen. There might be a flavor of PPP that can do this.. hmmm.. good question :)

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back