Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Dhcp service problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlineravee

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2001
IN
hi,
i have 95/98/nt4w.s. 150 clients and one server nt4. domain with dhcp service. in one network. suddenly the clients are not connected to server.then i remove the dhcp service in server and again i install dhcp service. now, some systems are connecting to the server and other systems not connecting, then i gave the ip address for the client systems and its working fine.

1, give me slolutions,all clients have to connect through dhcp server.
2, is there any procedure to install dhcp service at server.? also give the procedure.

thank u.
ravee

Strange what is happend there.
DHCP is using broadcast, if you would have two networks, and a router that doesn't allow broadcast, then could be the problem. But you say that everything it is in one network. Normally a simple installation should work.
Having DHCP server sevice installed and seetting clients for using DHCP (automatically IP assigned).
What I didn't understand from you is what do you mean saying "systems are connecting to the server / or not". Systems have IP addresses? Or yo cannot "see" them, let's say in Network Neigh.
So, what I advise you to check:
- is the pool of addresses large enough to have 150 adresses?
- are the client computers configured to automatically assigned option?
- did you send other parameter through DHCP?

But, again, if you want to help you, be more explicit. And, explain how did you check that stations are not "connected"? Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

I think the administrator of your network made a very BIG mistake when he/she remove DCHP from the server. Why was this done? How much trouble shooting was performed before the decision to do this was made?

It is very important to have a consistant database when using DHCP. I'm surprised you aren't getting IP conflicts in your network. When you remove the service from the server, you also remove the DHCP database. Without the orignal database (which records who has what addresses), the DHCP server will assume that no-one has an IP address...eventhough, most likely there are many machines that already have an IP address assigned through DHCP.

In the future, if your administrator would like to re-install the DHCP server, I would suggest following this Technet article:
I would suggest that you follow this technet article to reconsile IP addresses:
Here's another one that might help..
(In the furture, I would also suggest that an MCSE take over the administration of your network. He/She will know how to utilize Technet when problems like this arrise..)

Anyway, I hope this helps.. Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out

HI.

As mentioned, you must be more specific:
* Are all workstation on the same LAN and same subnet?
* If not, are there WAN links? How are remote workstations configured? Do you have a DHCP relay at the router?

I also agree that removing and reinstalling DHCP is a bad idea and should be done only after other troubleshooting.

But anyway, each time after you install DHCP or other service in NT4, YOU MUST REINSTALL LATEST SERVICE PACK (SP6A) ON THE SERVER.
This is because when you install files from the I386 you get a mix of old and updated files in the SYSTEM32 folder.

And another thing - you must also take a good look at the Event Viewer. You'll probably find important info there.

Good luck.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back