Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNIX72

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2000
US
I check out my netconf, but don't see anything on dhcp services. How do you install dhcp services. I want to setup a dhcp server for my clients, thanks. (Running 6.2)

In my personal opinion this topic is just to complex to have a simple answer that can be written here. I would higly recommend first take at look in your R.H. box under /usr/doc/dhcp-2.0/readme
This file has all kinds of help and also explains where to get more information on setting up dhcp.
Good Luck;
Chris

type:

chkconfig --list |grep dhcpd
see if it is set on or off. If it is not listed type

rpm -qa |grep dhcp

If there is no listing, then dhcp is not installed. Fetch the RPM off the CD or download it from Redhat. If the chkconfig validates that dhcpd is installed and off, then type

chkconfig dhcpd on

Ok you now have a DHCP server. Now start digging out man pages on DHCP and look at matrix7's reference cause you have to modify your /etc/dhcpd.conf. You can have IP addresses assigned dynamically to the same machine via MAC address or just define a range of IP's to dole out or both.

Not all that tough. It's harder to get water out of a rock.

war...

I just set up dhcp on my network. The hardest part for me was configuring /etc/dhcpd.conf

Below is what I came with. It seems to work really well.

# /etc/dhcpd.conf
default-lease-time 172800;
max-lease-time 1814400;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
option routers 192.168.1.8;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.30;
option domain-name "mydomain.com";
option netbios-name-servers 192.168.2.2,192.168.3.2;
subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 192.168.1.100 192.168.1.117;
range 192.168.1.120 192.168.1.239;
} host haagen{
hardware ethernet 00:08:a7:51:ec:43;
fixed-address 192.168.1.118;
}

-Danny

Thanks danny, but all the time i type /etc/dhcpd.conf it states that it could not be found. I know the dhcp service is install what gives.

Unfortunatly /etc/dhcpd.conf is not created when you compile dhcpd.

You manually need to create it.

vi /etc/dhcpd.conf (or what use someother text editor)

Then create your dhcp configuration.

You will also need to manually start dhcpd when you restart you box or add dhcpd to /etc/rc.d/rc.local

This will start dhcpd every time you reboot.

-danny
dcd@pop.mainstreet.net

-Danny

Thanks, danny give it a try

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back