Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Server Scopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevieh

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2001
GB
I am looking to re-structure our Internal Network, but need some help with our DHCP setup.

We are using DHCP Server on a Windows NT4 Server.

Currently we are only using one Scope, but these are all Public IP Adresses (horror) with a Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.224 and I want to create a new Scope of private IP Address on a different Subnet Mask, probably 192.168.10.10 & 255.255.255.0

As I still need the Public IP Adresses on the Network how do I go about creating the new Scope and still use the old one at the same time.

We also use an ADSL Router, which is set in the Global Router settings of the DHCP scope.

Although I am a techy I am no LAN Expert and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Stevieh

I would recommend you to use private IP addressing for your LAN and use NAT on ADSL router. Then all your private IP addresses will be translated to one or more public addresses. This is a preferred configuration in your case.
but,
if you need the conf you want to have :) there is one thing , that allows you to have both addresses in your LAN:
a superscope. You must to create a one superscope and put there both of your current scopes. That's all.

Victor K
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);CNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA;Net+;CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back