Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP server error after installing SP1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvar

MIS
Jun 9, 2004
IS
After installing Sp1 on our domain controller booting it up takes about 5-10 minutes now. Just halts at the starting network connections.

Checking the Event log revieals this error in the system logs

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DhcpServer
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1059
Date: 29.5.2005
Time: 13:44:36
User: N/A
Computer: -removed-
Description:
The DHCP service failed to see a directory server for authorization.

The application log reveals

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1053
Date: 29.5.2005
Time: 13:34:46
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: -removed-
Description:
Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. (The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you. ). Group Policy processing aborted.

On first look it seems that the domain controller cant contact itself to authenticate itself, but that doesnt make much sense. Apart from this everything seems to be working.

Anyone know what could be wrong?

What happens when you unplug the NIC and boot?
Can you boot to last known good?

I will be doing some more test this saturday, since it takes 10 minutes to reboot I wont be rebooting it much till then.

Is your server running as a DHCP client or running DHCP server service? It should not be a client.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

joseph:
"Event Source: DhcpServer"

;-)

Elvar,

Have you tried disabling the DHCP service and reauthorising it in active Directory?

-or removing the service completely and reinstalling it?

-for test reasons, can you try installing DHCP server on another server and see if it can be authorised to run?

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at If you break your hard drive, it'll be DPlank's fault

Hi all, thanks for your replies

Yesterday I reinstalled the service pack along with all the additional updates and same thing happened.

But I did notice that it seems to be a dns error and not a dhcp one, we dont even use dhcp because of internal issues. Its installed though and supplying a whole long list of two ip's :p

I found this article on this
I'm getting an Event ID: 2087 (for future reference)

not entirely sure what the problem is or how to fix it yet

also got an ndts replication error which happens at reboot, event id 2092, which says it didnt manage to contact the replication server but the message after that is that it did manage to contact the server.

the mistery continues

Looks like I'm having the same issue...I get warnings on bootup and the same errors for DHCP and NTDS but after the warning message, it says:

All problems preventing updates to the Active Directory Database have been cleared. New updates to the Active Directory database are succeeding. The Net Logon service has restarted.

I'm having a similar issue. The DC, the only server in this envorment actually, is aying that it cannot see a Directory server for authorization? That should be itself so I am a bit confused. Any idea why it would not authorize itself or answer its own broadcast for authorization? Any help appreciated.

The only error # relevant is #1059 "The DHCP service failed to see a directory server for authorization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back