Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP server configuration from ADSL router modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngaisteve1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2003
SG
I have this adsl 4 port ethernet router modem from Aztech. WHen I type and under Configuration, I got to DHCP server. When I reach there, I saw "DHCP server Mode" with three radio button value.

1. Disabled
2. DHCP Server (selected)
3. DHCP relay agent

With a button (value "Configure") below.

My question is what happen if I disabled it or select the DHCP relay agent? Thanks.

Relay Agent normally means that it will request an address from another DHCP server, and the pass the request to your system. Since it will be requesting the address from the ISP's DHCP server, it is unlikely that this setting will work for you.

If you disable the DHCP server, then you will have to manually configure each of the computers on your home network. This is possible, and it works quite well, but it means that you have to configure each computer. That is why DHCP was developed in the first place. To simplify and centralize management of IP addresses.

pansophic

Thanks. But do you know why it has an option to disable it?

Of course. You would disable it if you are using static addressing on your local network.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back