Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Security Option...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florchita

MIS
Jan 17, 2002
US
Hi there!, i have a very important question...

Anybody know if is possible to configure the Windows 2k/2k3 DHCP server to assign IP address only to computers that are members of the Domain?... I mean, I want to asign IP only for my network's computers and no to any computer that comes and connect to my network... Hope I be clear.

Thanks in advance for everyone!!!!... AND HELP ME!!!!!!!

If not by DHCP if there's a way to do this?

there sort of is a way...
creating a reservation for each PC, a sort of static dynamic ip system...
that way only the mac addresses you specify will be allocated IP addresses, albeit the same one each time.

Aftertaf
We shall prevail, and they shall not

Yes, it's an option, but i've about 320 workstations connected and I don't want to add a reservation for each mac address...

Any other option?.

It sounds like you are trying to use DHCP for securing access to your network. It was not designed for this. To keep unauthorized computers off you network you should seek the assistance of you network team.

1. Lock the network port to mac address of an authorized PC. If someone where to connect another computer to that jack, they would not be able to access the network and would not get an IP Address.

2. Make sure any unused ports are shut down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back