Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Second Subnet Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathstar

MIS
Aug 28, 2001
CA
I just started working for a new company and have inherited the problems of the network. We have a DHCP server that is setup to assign IP's (192.168.10.xxx & 192.168.11.xxx subnet). The 192.168.10.xxx subnet is working fine and all clients are recieving IP's with the proper settings. The 192.168.11.xxx subnet isn't recieving any IP's from any client and at the moment most of the 192.168.10.xxx IP's are all assigned with little IP's available which is causing problems for any new workstations or clients needing access to the network. As a test I used the RECONSILE on both subnets and got the same results "The Database is consistent".

As a test I also gave myself a static IP address of 192.168.11.xxx, once the settigns were set I was no longer able to PING any computers on the 192.168.10.xxx subnet. I verified all my settings and the only thing I can determine that is wrong is that the 192.168.11.xxx subnet is unable to route correctly to the 192.168.10.xxx subnet.

The only setting I can find that may be an issue is that the 192.168.11.xxx is incorrect is that the DG is pointing to 192.168.10.1 (router), other than that the settings look fine to me. If anyone can pinpoint the issue it would be extremely helpful.

To get two different networks to talk to one another, you need a router with a layer 3 interface for both networks, which would act as the default gateway for those networks. Also, depending on your network hardware, you need to configure switch ports with certain VLANs (i.e. vlan 10 and vlan 11). When a computer comes up on the network, this is how it knows to request from the DHCP server an address in the correct network. You may also be simply missing a method to forward DHCP requests (which are broadcasts and would be blocked by default on a router) from the "11" network to the DHCP server on the "10" network. On a Cisco router, for instance, you need an "ip helper-address 192.168.10.xxx" where xxx = the address of your DHCP server.

Whats your subnet mask? If you're class C, then yes, you need to change your default gateway.

Mike Fegan

Great resource for free tools, and tech chat. Check out the Babe of the Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back