Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP: Routing MAC address to IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

malakisi

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2002
US
I've found this somewhere else across the web and now I can not seem to find it again. Now that I need it.

Here's the situation. Someone at one of the campuses in our district has been bringing their machine up on the network. This machine when later searched though with 3rd party network tools reveals that it is a WinXP Server. This server is running Exchange, FTP services, IIS, and keeps interfering with our network. I cannot remotely shut it down, look though it, or get in to it with any other vast utils that we use. But I do have it's MAC address.

I've read somewhere that in DHCP you can take a MAC address and route it to give a bogus IP. This may work for a bit until they change their nic card. But once they do that and it registers back on I'll just route it again. BTW: We use a proper naming scheme that is compared with our inventory. Anything that is bogus is flagged and checked.

Anyway, does anyone remember how to do this? I'm afraid that is might become a security issue as well.

Thanks

Leo McGraw
Network Operations
Huffman ISD
lmcgraw@huffman.isd.esc4.net

You need to set a reserved IP. Open DHCP Manager and on the Scope menu add a Reservation.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back