Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP question.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

parani

Programmer
Nov 2, 2006
IN
Here is my situation.....

I have set up a win2k server in an office and I have a small problem with DHCP..... but with specific clients...

1) win2000...... if the client pc runs windows 2000 then everything works ok.... it can access the network and it can access throught the router another sites network that belongs to the same VPN

2) win98....... if the client runs windows 98 then some problems come up.... it gets an ip dynamically from the range i specified but for some reason it doesn't keep the gateway (which I specify in the gateway box).... so eventhough it isable to look at the network of the company, it cannot access the internet or other computers of the VPN because it doesn't have a default gateway specified......

I tried to hardcode everything in ---- IP and gateway it worked. it kept ip and gateway, it gave me some other problems with the network but thats not the issue right now........ could it be a mistake in the DHCP set up or no?

Please help

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back