Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

skendrick

Technical User
Mar 31, 2003
Could someone explain step-by-step how to set up DHCP on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Every time we try it none of the clients ever receive an Ip. The client computers are Windows 98SE computers. We are trying to change over from Novell to Microsoft and the only thing left is DHCP. Could someone please help. We am new to the microsoft servers.

Thanks,
Sterling

I done just as it told me too. But my clients are still unable to get an ip from my DHCP. Is their anything else I have to do to make it work?

Thanks,
Sterling

Are the client machines able to see the DHCP server and vice versa? Can the clients ping the server? Can the DHCP server ping any of the client machines? Are there any Event Viewer entries? Have you tried restarting the DHCP service? You can do this by typing "net start dhcpserver" at the command prompt. Also, make sure the scope you defined has been activated. Clients will not be able to obtain leases from it unless it has been activated.

Of course you already tick "obtain Ip address automatically" =).

Anyway why don't you assigned 1 static ip address to 1 workstation and do a ping to and from the server as a start of troubleshooting.

We are all assuming that TCP/IP is enabled on the clients?
As novell uses IPX/SPX on most of its versions as its default protocol (other than the current version), TCP/IP may not even be set up on the clients.

If TCP/IP is set up, is it set to get an IP address automatically.

Are the clients on the same subnet as the DHCP server?
If not, does the router have bootp or DHCP relay configured?

Oh...has the DHCP server been authorised?

Just a couple of things to check [smile]

Cheers,

Pete
[morning]

Is everything on the same LAN segement? Is the new DHCP server a different IP address from the old one? Are the IP forwarders/helpers forwarding to the proper DHCP server?

Let me know.

bob

I know what I know and that's all I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back