Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

dhcp problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

unit512

MIS
Mar 12, 1999
US
On an DHCP NT 4.0 server
with SP 6....

10 workstations log in fine letting the server give them
the DHCP address.

2 get a conflict with IP ###.###.###.12

2 do not even see the domain.

If I give the 4 problem work stations static
IPs they login fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
GRA [sig][/sig]

Got anything else trying for DHCP requests like a printer?

2 that can't see the domain, do an ipconfig/release before renew. There is no physical prob cos they can go in manually.

For the two conflicts try adding DHCP reservations on the server and see if that cures the prob. [sig]<p>Zel<br><a href=mailto:zel@zelandakh.co.uk>zel@zelandakh.co.uk</a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Thanks,

I will try the above.
There is one printer on the network,
but that is at .44 and is locked out
of the assigments.

Glenn [sig][/sig]

are you sure you don´t have another dhcp-server on the net?
go to the two conflicting workstations and run ipconfig /all to view what dhcp-server they list. If it is the same dhcp-server I´ve no clue what´s wrong :)
How big is your net? 1 NT-server and 10 W-station? Do you use some other equipment (router/switch/isdn) on you network?
[sig]<p>Nostradamus<br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br> [/sig]

Did you install the service pack after you installed or reinstalled DHCP [sig][/sig]

Remove one of the conflicting PC's. Ping the .12 address and do an arp -a. Pin point the MAC address to the conflicting machine. Correct the conflict, by either taking the reservation off or the static reservation off. You can also set IP's through the command line. [sig]<p>Draq<br><a href=mailto:comtutor@uswestmail.net>comtutor@uswestmail.net</a><br>Good Luck with this information<br>
"It's not what you know, or who you know, but who you know that knows what !" --- Me<br>
"Visualize Whirled Peas" --- Kelly Bundy[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back