Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezarin

Programmer
Apr 12, 2011
US
Hi all,

There was a possible power outage in our company, am not sure what exactly happened but on a Monday morning we came to work and one of the switches (the master switch) was down...Then we shut all the switches down and brought them up one by one and many of the desktop machines were back in business. About 12 of them were still having the limited or no network issue so we brought in a network engineer and the guy said the NIC should be replaced. We replaced the NIC cards ( meaning as you know new MAC addresses ) and everything magically started to work. The laptop on the other hand still don't work. I connected one of my own laptops directly to the switch and it was working fine but the work laptop could not access the network when I plugged into the switch! The same faulty laptop works outside of the building...

Today, I found a dhcpd.lease file in which I see all the IP addresses we're supposed to be using for laptops and they all seem to be expired. Can I delete the file? The Monday which we came into the office and everything was down was on Sep. 26, 2011, note the date on one of the dhcpd.leases entries:

lease 192.168.1.22 {
starts 1 2011/09/26 20:51:51;
ends 1 2011/09/26 20:53:51;
tstp 1 2011/09/26 20:53:51;
binding state free;
hardware ethernet 00:08:74:b9:37:31;
uid "\001\000\010t\27171";

Should I go ahead and delete this file or update the lease? Or the problem is causing by something else?

Thanks in advance,
t

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back