Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DHCP problem??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbeullens

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2007
BE
Hi all,

Yesterday I experienced something strange:
Suddenly some of our computers could not connect the internet properly, and some connected just fine.
I also noticed that ALL computers could connect with and could search google on a normal way, but if I entered a url in the browser, or followed a link in the google searches, no connection was made.

I figured out that it was not a DNS problem, as I first thought. All our computers have the same network settings, are connected via the same internet connection and router,…

I tried to connect computers straight on the CISCO 800 series router of our DSL connection, and still the same problem. Than I entered an IP address manually and….IT WORKED!
Strange since there was also the same problem when I tried surfing from one of the servers (of course with a fixed IP)
I decided to restart the DHCP server (a win 2000 server) and throw away all the lease records.
Afterwards everything worked fine again.

I CANT see why and where this is a DHCP problem, Why with some PC’s it did work, and with others it didn’t.
Why could I reach google easily and no other website?
Why did it not work from a server with fixed IP?

I really would like to understand this problem.

Anny Idea’s anyone?
Greetz!
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back